Sunday, October 17, 2021

Weekend wind down

 I try not to work at the weekends if I can help it. It sometimes doesn't work out that way but I do find I work much better in the week if I've deliberately switched off for a couple of days. 

Yesterday, I finally got round to baking a brioche loaf, after promising one to my son for several weeks. It was done in the breadmaker but completely delicious. One part of me always feels like a breadmaker is cheating in some way, but on the other hand, I definitely bake more in it than I otherwise would so I guess it evens itself out. 


Recipe as follows:

280ml milk
2 eggs
150g butter, melted
600g white bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
80g sugar
1 sachet easy blend dried yeast

Just add the ingredients to your breadmaker in the usual order and select for a 1kg loaf. It would also be completely fine to do by hand in the traditional way but I'd reduce the milk amount a little as breadmakers like quite a wet dough. 

There has been very little in the way of walks recently, and no running this week so I have no lovely landscape pics this time. Hopefully that will come back very soon, though I seem to keep saying that. Since all the lockdown stuff and general life issues over the last couple of years, I'm having real trouble finding my routine again. Work and housework seem fairly well-represented in my life, and I find that after that, I only have the energy to do maybe one or two things purely for pleasure - learning some Welsh on Duolingo and a few rows of knitting, etc but I can't squish in the running too. I managed it all before, just not sure how! 

Speaking of knitting, my son's Trek jumper is coming along well. I'm hoping to finish the body this afternoon and then it's just the sleeves to go. I'm planning on trying them two at a time on a long circular needle. I've done that before and I prefer not having to go back to do a second sleeve, plus I know they'll definitely be the same length! On the downside though, it's definitely trickier and I always end up in a tangle a few times. Will see how it goes. I haven't tried it on him yet so it may end up being all undone (!) but I've been measuring it against his current favourite jumper so fingers crossed. 


Lastly, I've been Postcrossing! I spotted it on a friend's blog and looked it up. What a fabulous thing! You request an address to send a postcard to, anywhere in the world, and then when they've received it (you write a unique code on it so it can be verified as they enter the code when they get it), someone else is given your address to post to. So you get a random card from anywhere in the world! 

www.postcrossing.com 

I sent off five a few weeks ago and got my first one back the other day. It's from a 73 year old lady and her dog in the Netherlands. Lovely! :-) 



2 comments:

  1. That brioche recipe looks like something I'd like to try - that might be next weekend's playdate!
    and I like the idea of postcrossing - off to investigate!

    ReplyDelete

November sun

Beautiful considering how far into November we are!  And, Trek is slowly coming along ...